Sunday, July 4, 2010

State of the Garden Address 2010








Hi All!
Well, after another long school year summer has begun, and hopefully I can start posting here regularly again. I thought I should start with an overview of how things have been going in my vegetable garden so far this year, since that's what really got this blog started!

Thinks started out well, especially since I got to plant the entire Garden by the end of the May 21st weekend, which, while always the "plan", hasn't actually happened in years and years. The May/June weather hasn't done me any favours, but most of the crops seem to be doing well. As always, I'm having bunny issues, but we'll see what theories and plots we can hatch to drive them off again this year.

Up at the top of the page you'll see a red sunflower shoot, which is one of my experiments this year. There's a few of them along the back edge of the garden against the fence; if they do well this year then I'll probably break down and plant corn next year in the same place. The jungle at the front of the garden is the three tomato plants (lemon plum, bloody butcher, and sun gold), mixed with the apocalypse chives, reseeded red mustard, basil, and dill. I've got green onions along the front of the garden - fresh shoots towards the house and reseeded back towards the apple trees. Otherwise, there's peas, holy moley peppers, green beans, soy beans, bull's blood beets, spinich, more chives, pattypan squash, and mini pumpkins. I've got red and white onions in one planter and regular pickling cukes in another, as well as my tomatillo and a reclaimed lemon drop pepper.

Another experiment is Boston pickling cukes in the garden - they're a heirloom variety I found at an Organic market. One of the three shoots is already gone, and a second is in the process of dying, but the third has bloomed already! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment