Tuesday, July 20, 2010

BBQ Season!!! Part 1

Well, my BBQ season got started later than most due to a (still) malfunctioning barbecue, but unfortunately these things can't be helped. Hopefully mine is back to full strength quickly, and I can go back to experimenting with open fire and all that smokey goodness like chefs were meant to way way WAY back when! :p The one meal that I DID manage to prepare so far this year was probably my quintessential BBQ meal - cheeseburgers and corn on the cob. I'll explore the concept of the hamburger in the second part of this post, but I wanted to go over my "unique" corn on the cob on the BBQ recipe first.

I tend to get my recipes from a myriad of different places, as I imagine most chefs do. While some of them do come from family recipes, it's actually rare that I take anything from my mother or father's cooking, with this being a notable exception. You can say that the flavour of the grill adds to anything that you can barbecue, but I don't think that's more true with anything than corn on the cob. This is how my father made it as I grew up, and how I've continued to make it since I took over BBQ-ing duties in my teenager years. Just remember NOT TO HUSK THE CORN!!! :p

BBQ Corn on the Cob

Corn on the cob, STILL IN HUSK
Butter
Salt

1. Place all of the corn in the sink, STILL IN HUSK, and cover with cold water. Cobs will probably need to be weighted down. Leave submerged for 20 minutes, allowing the BBQ to warm up while they are soaking.

2. Place corn in BBQ (in the coals or on the grill as per the BBQ) STILL IN HUSK. Leave for 5 minutes with lid closed.

3. After 5 minutes, rotate corn by 1/4 turn. Close lid for another 5 min. Repeat until the entire corn has been face down, 20 minutes total.

4. Remove from the BBQ and wrap in newspaper. Tuck away in a warm place (I often use the oven or the microwave depending on what else is being used) until the rest of the meal is ready.

5. Just before serving open the newspaper (usually best done back outside) and husk corn. Some kernels may occasionally darken depending on the thickness of the husk, but most of the corn should be bright and delicious! Serve with butter and salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment