Thursday, August 20, 2009

Planning Canning

Well, it's already mid- (err...late?) August, and it seems like canning should be winding down for the summer, except that thanks to our unseasonal temperature and mass deluges of rain, it hasn't even really begun yet. Pickling cucumbers are still on the vine, and most of the July and August produce is still waiting to be harvested, never mind the fall arrivals. At this point, we'll be getting fresh veggies and fruit well into October baring any early frosts.

Dill pickles are always the centerpiece of my canning season and seem to be the most popular of my creations. While not overly labor intensive they do take forever, thanks to the need to maintain the hot water bath in a specific temperature range to guarantee preservation but at the same time maintaining the crunchiness of the pickles. Last year I ended up doing 36 pounds of pickles in one day (1 lb = 1 jar) but I'm thinking of splitting t hings into 2 or 3 days this year, depending on when orders are available...and whether or not school starts first!

Wasn't sure what to do about other canning this year, especially as neither of our apple trees are going to bear fruit this year thanks to the canker worms in the spring. We're well stocked on both "regular" apple chutney and Kashmir chutney, and there definitely isn't a demand for apple butter this year, so I think we can skip the apples altogether. Thanks to the desires of my SIL, we're also still well stocked with triple citrus marmalade as well. Most other things can be replenished or added to though.

I wasn't sure where I was going to find my recipes or inspiration from this year, when I stumbled across a book called "Put a Lid on It!" at the checkout stand at the library. I figured I'd take it home and copy any recipes that looked interesting and see it that would kick start my canning plans. After the first time I went through the book, I had over 40 recipes marked...so I ended up ordering the book, as well as it's sequel. Lots in there to go through, and I'm sure I'll find some things to make...possible even raspberry chambord jam!

More canning planning to come as I narrow down my choices...and decide what do to about our dwindling stock of pickled onions!

No comments:

Post a Comment